Annex XVII of REACH is a list of hazardous substances, mixtures or articles that are restricted or prohibited for EU market, also known as REACH Restriction list or REACH Annex XVII.
Restrictions are an instrument to protect human health and the environment from unacceptable risks posed by chemicals. Restrictions are normally used to limit or ban the manufacture, placing on the market (including imports) or use of a substance, but can impose any relevant condition, such as requiring technical measures or specific labels.
► A restriction may apply to any substance on its own, in a mixture or in an article, including those that do not require registrations, for example, substances or certain polymers manufactured or imported below 1t/y.
► On-site isolated intermediates, substances used in scientific research and development, and substances only posing risks to human health from their use in cosmetics are exempted from those substances to which REACH restriction applies.
► Industries shall comply with restrictions when their substances are listed in Annex XVII. Industries refer to anyone in restrictions such as manufacturers, importers, distributors, downstream users or retailers.
► A Member State, or ECHA, at the request of the European Commission, can initiate the restriction procedures when there are concerns about a substance posing unacceptable risks to human health or the environment. ECHA may also propose restrictions on articles containing substances listed on the Authorization List (Annex XIV).
Click here to search for the obligations:
Regulations and standards
► Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006
► Information on restricted substances - ECHA (europa.eu)
► EU Commission
► Enforcement Forum
How to obtain the list?
- Click here to search for the latest inventory
- Search on the official website:
- Contact CIRS Group to purchase the latest Restriction List (excel format)
- Compile customized forms for enterprises on substance uses and exposures;4
- Provide guidance for enterprises and EU importers to fill in forms;
- Classification and collection of substance uses and exposure;
- Analysis and standardized management of substance uses and exposure;
- Physical and chemical hazard assessment;
- Physical health hazard assessment of substances;
- Environment hazard assessment;
- PBT and vBvP assessment;
- Chemical Safety Report (CSR) compilation.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.